Monday, April 13, 2020

What WRiTE CLUB slushpile readers want to see!

It’s crunch time for submissions to the 2020 edition (and ninth year!) of DL Hammons WRiTE CLUB contest. Entries for the readers’ choice event are due this coming Sunday, April 19. And although one of the winner’s perks – recognition at the DFW Writers Conference – will be missing, a victim of the current pandemic, there’s still plenty to gain.

The top 30 submissions, as determined by Hammons’ volunteer crew of slushpile readers, will receive feedback from online readers. And the surviving finalists will get eyes on their writing samples from publishing industry pros. 

This year I return as one of those slush readers winnowing the initial entrants. We joined Hammons recently on Twitter to share the secrets of what it takes to win our hearts. I’ll recap while expanding on my own preferences. Pay attention – you may just find yourself in the winner’s circle!

It should not need saying but I will -- contestants need to produce a strong writing sample. 
image: pixabay

Over and over, slushpile readers made statements such as, “Writing quality is my highest weighted category. A really well-written piece can make up for other things I might not like.” 

And, “Give me a STRONG hook! I cannot stress this enough. Grab me before my mind and wander and don’t let me go until the end.”

Or, “Great writing is my number one criteria. I know that’s subjective, but for me it’s about whether your story draws me in: is your dialogue realistic, do you have the right blend of dialogue, emotions, action, and world building.”

And with a 500-word limit on entries, every blow – I mean word – has to punch above its weight. 

“What’s the key to my vote?” another slushpile reader tweeted. “It’s really, really, simple: tight writing. SUPER tight. No dramatics, no clichés. I don’t even care what genre; a strong premise is only a bonus. I just want to know you can tell a story.”

So, does a 500-word limit mean the contest is limited to flash fiction? Not at all. Flash is perfectly OK, but those of the 30 original contestants who make it through the early rounds of reader feedback will be expected to produce additional – and longer – writing samples. This probably explains why most of the entries I’ve seen so far appear to be excerpts from longer works. 

But as I’ve told my own critique group, the writing sample doesn’t have to be verbatim from a longer piece. Choosing which elements are essential and which can be temporarily dispensed with is an art. What I’ve seen a little too much of, both this year and last, when I also read slush, is the lack of arc. There may be lyrical writing or great character sketches, but even with only a fragment of scene, the sample has to show a potential to go somewhere, to have legs.

As a fellow slushie tweeted, “A gripping first sentence does a lot for me, but something has to actually happen in the story. It can’t just be all exposition.”

Other tweets – “I was glued to the story. . .”

“The writer managed to get into my head. . .” 

And, “Make me forget about #COVID-19. Even if only for a few minutes. Give me a story that will consume my mind and emotions with something else.”

So, you’ve got a strong opening, a gripping middle. . . how about that ending? Remembering it’s not necessarily the ending of the entire story, only of this 500-word fragment. 

Slushies say, “Bonus points for a surprise ending. . . I really LOVE surprise endings.” And, “One of my favorites so far had a fantastic twist at the end. I want to know what happens!” And, “If it’s not a short (story) with closure, I need at least a signpost or tip of the hat as to where the author is taking me.”

A slushpile reader quoted earlier not caring about genre, but some do pine for more variation in genres. Admittedly, with most entries expected in this final week, it’s still surprising that I’ve counted fewer than a half-dozen YA submissions. 

Other slushies tweeted, “I’d love to see some nonfiction and memoirs,” and “I wouldn’t mind seeing more horror entries. . . hint, hint.” (Although another noted, “I like my horror IMPLIED, not graphic or gory!” Slushpile readers also like humor, either as a stand-alone genre or sprinkled into other genres. And speaking personally, I’m a sucker for mysteries, historicals, and thrillers.

And although great writing is tops on we slushies’ lists of must-haves, we’re not immune to pickier issues. “Suck me in, trap me, make me care,” one tweeted. “I’m more lax on grammar. I’ll even skip over it if I’m engrossed but if it comes down to a submission with good grammar vs. one with not-go-good. . .”

And, “If I’m debating between two great pieces, proper grammar can tip the scales.” And another, “I’m not a huge stickler for grammar mistakes, but it if keeps pulling out of the story? It will affect my vote at that point.”

So, there you have it, writers! Great writing, strong beginning, a story arc with strong ending. And don’t ignore your word processor’s grammar suggestions. Now hie thee to the WRiTE CLUB site and enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment